Oaklandon envisions that all students will develop scientific thinking processes from observations to independent investigation that will guide them to become ecologically responsible, contributing members of society. The program will immerse students in an environment that emphasizes discovery, exploration, collaborative study, scientific tools, and technology.
At Oaklandon School of Environmental Studies we believe that:
- The study of the environmental sciences are conducive to powerful learning, and that increasing the presence of hands-on experiences with “real-world” science in all subjects will increase motivation, relevance and achievement for our students, as well as foster the natural curiosity in the world around them.
- Environmental Education will develop in our students a love and respect for nature through outdoor experiences.
- Project Approach learning will be the core process for which our students will develop critical thinking skills necessary to be life long problem solvers for the environment.
- Students will recognize their role and responsibility to themselves, their neighbors, and become stewards of this world around them.
- Core curriculum based on the award winning Indiana State Standards and National Standards is best taught through Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop and a balanced math program.